Saturday, April 7, 2012

Sandman Takes a Room


    It is
    possible that I will be
    nothing by the end of day,

    that I will       
    disintegrate in
    the dry air of this room
    where no breeze blows. 

    And to
    protect myself from these
    inevitabilities,
    curtains have been pulled
    and drawn upon themselves

    as a canvas where
    the artist painted the scene
    and his portrait eyes
    the room in which oils still
    supple mark the man

    when he
    turned keys against the latch
    not to enter but to lock him-
    self away. 

    I have this
    luxury: to scrawl out
    my last will, my testament,
    a cypher in grains of sand
    on this firmament
    where nothing holds.  Need

    drives me to fire, white-
    lightning and moonshine
    and a match poised
    to answer the only question,
    What color shall I be?

        


No comments:

Post a Comment